Saturday, July 7, 2012

Sautéed Summer Veggies

The best part about summer is the produce. I am a big fan of all things flavorful, healthy, colorful, and FRESH. This year as I developed my culinary skills, every week when I would go to the grocery store I would pick up a new fruit or veggie I had never tried or rarely eat, and would try to cook it in new ways. One way where you can't go wrong - is with sautéing.


This summer stir fry is great alone, on brown rice, or on spinach pasta. You really cannot go wrong... this recipe is simple and really hard to mess up. I'm moving out of my apartment at the end of the month, so I'm trying to use up all my marinades. 

Side note: For novice chefs, this dish is a great way to trick people into thinking that you're a more skilled chef than you actually are, because it's so damn delish (and pretty!)


Note: For my marinades, Stubbs is an all-purpose flavorful marinade and Lawry's is a teriyaki marinade with a pineapple base. Any of the like will do! Look at what is in your fridge and play around (just try to choose marinates with as low sodium as possible!) You may also note the vast range for cooking time; this may vary based on your stove and what kind of pans you use; I love All-Clad d5 Stainless-Stell Fry Pans from Williams-Sonoma. I tend to sauté my veggies until they start to brown a little (I love the mild smoky taste,) so I normally cook mine for 16 full minutes. 

Summer Veggies have great nutritional value. Tomatoes are rich in antioxidants like vitamin A, C, and betacarotene as well as potassium and vitamin B which helps lower cholesterol. Tomatoes contain lycopene (which increases as the tomatoes are heated,) that has anti-aging properties and is thought to prevent cancerous cells from forming in the body. Zucchini is rich in vitamin C and folate, as well as vitamin A, potassium, and iron (for us ladies who are anemic.) Baby bell peppers are also full of antioxidants like vitamin C and A, as well as vitamin K and B6 (which is SUPER energizing.) Sweet yellow onions have a significant amount of Quercetin, a cancer-fighting antioxidant. Although our bodies don't digest corn fully, corn is rich with filling fiber. 


Do you have any other yummy ways of cooking your summer veggies?



No comments:

Post a Comment