Saturday, July 7, 2012

My 5 Favorite Things


Everyone has those items you just cannot live without. 
Here are my 5 key essentials, the things I love!


This face wash is amazing, and worth every penny. It is gentle enough for sensitive skin but effective enough to actually produce visible results. After my first use, my skin instantly looked brighter and felt softer, and after a week, my pores were visibly smaller. A little bit goes a long way, my first 8oz bottle lasted me a little over six months (with twice-a-day use!) This is a good alternative for individuals with combination, oily, or dry skin that do not respond well to benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid. 


I have been iPhone loyal since the birth of the silver-brick version of this remarkable device. For those who have an iPhone, you know, for those of you who don't, let me tell you why this is an absolute essential.

First off, this device saves me money, and makes me money. I can fill my prescriptions, I can deposit my checks, and I can pay my bills without ever having to use any of my (precious) gas. I used to consign my clothes, but I've recently discovered this amazing application called Poshmark that allows you to consign your clothes effortlessly, takes a very small and reasonable consigning fee, pays for shipping, and (drum roll) deposits your earnings directly into your checking account. 

My iPhone is also my sole camera. The camera is 5 megapixels and the picture and flash quality is insane. And with the iPhone, editing and sharing your pictures is fast and simple with the countless social media applications (like Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.) 

Not to mention, an iPhone is a fitness and health junkie's necessity. Apps like Fitness Buddy and Nike+ GPS  help create and track your workouts (I like to use both interchangeably, using Fitness Buddy for strength training and stretches, and then Nike+ GPS immediately after to track my runs on the treadmill or outside.) For health-freaks, Fooducate is a must; you scan popular food items and it gives you a nutritional grade, description, and healthy alternatives (if necessary,) you would be surprised what foods you think are healthy are actually packed with sugar... check it out!)

I could go on and on and on and on about how much I just love my iPhone as not only a communication device, but a supplement to my personal health, organization, and personal life. It is absolutely revolutionary! If you're in the market for a new phone, look no further.  

3. Blueberries 

I eat more blueberries in a day than most probably do in a year. They are not only wonderful tasting (fresh or frozen,) but they are wonderful FOR YOU! They are low in calories, but packed with vitamin C, fiber (which makes you feel fuller for longer,) and antioxidants that can help you  fight heart disease, cataracts, and cancer. 

I try to incorporate blueberries into every meal. For breakfast, I put blueberries on top of greek yogurt with other mix-ins (if I'm feeling wild, chocolate covered pomegranate seeds from trader joes,) or in oatmeal. I'll eat them frozen as a snack, add them to smoothies, or put them on salads with honey-marinated chicken. 

Blueberries are natures super food! and they are cheap produce!
Read more about why blueberries are extra-beneficial to women here.


If you are someone who spends $30-$45 each week to get a manicure-pedicure, stop, just stop! Sally Hansen Diamond Shine Base & Top Coat is the key to a perfect at-home mani-pedi. At roughly $7 and available at almost all local drug stores, you really cannot beat this topcoat.

First of all, it dries in 60 seconds (but really, it does,) which I took with a grain of salt but was shocked when after a minute or two I could go about my normal daily routine. It also gives my nails that shellac-like shine I love, and my polish (expensive and non) goes chip-free for 5-8 days! 



Okay, so I must confess, until a few days ago I was the proud owner of a white, Macbook Unibody. I loved that computer, until it's demise last week where I was casually cleaning my house, dropped it, and cracked the screen it was my go-to device for my personal, professional, and educational projects. 

BUT, with tragedy comes triumph as I decided it was time to upgrade from my dated MacBook to my beautiful, high-resolution, wonderful MacBook Pro. The layout of the software is not terribly different from my old computer, but the design, ease of accessibility, and speed IS. 

There are countless applications (free and paid) at your disposal as a MacBook owner, like (my personal favorite,) SelfControl which locks you out of certain sites of programs for a certain amount of time so you can get something more important accomplished on your computer (for those of you that tend to type "Facebook" automatically and accidentally with real intent of going to an educational website.) 

The standard software that comes with a Mac (like iMovie and garageband) is nothing short of state of the art. All throughout college I've used iMovie to take my presentations to the next level, I highly recommend it! Not to mention, this powerhouse has a whopping 7-hour battery when fully charged, which is important to me because I take all my notes solely on my laptop.

Long story short, "Once you go Mac, you never go back!"


What things or products can you not live without?



2 comments:

  1. I cannot live without my black Macbook, I love it and don't want it to ever die!!!! Sadly, I think that day is near, so I hope to upgrade to a Macbook Pro. I also love my iPhone 4 and iPad 2 (I read books and blogs on it all the time!). Clearly, I'm a Mac girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the same way! I cried like I lost a family member when that thing broke (not to mention it was my first "big girl" purchase.) When you make the upgrade, however, you WILL NOT be disappointed! Thanks for being my first blog comment! xx

      Delete